First of all, as you should be able to see above, I make the muddy banks. I use putty, specifically Magisculp for this. I try to make small mounds where possible, whilst still trying to keep variation throughout. Keeping smooth is key, I think.
Next I drill holes into the clay for the stilits. You could just press it in whilst the putty is wet, but don't expect them to stick. The Stilts themselves were made from bamboo skewers. Sometimes when you cut them to size they will split, but just try another skewer, you tend to get more than you'll even need in a set anyway.
I used PVA to stick the stilts to the base.
I make the board walk to go on the stilts separately because it is easier to paint that way. This is simply randomly cut small sections of coffee stirrer PVA'd together perpendicular to each other. Some models will need some made specifically made for them because other their stance or size *cough* Skeeters *cough*
Next up I stick some small chunks of cork up to be rocks. I got this from Antenocitis Workshop, which is my go to store for hobby supplies.
After spraying the bases, I first of all paint the rocks. I base them skavenblight dinge and then drybrush them administratum grey. The reason I do them first is because it involves drybrushing, which easily gets onto other parts you don't want it to.
Next up I paint the wood. I went for a red colour because it will contrast with the Gremlins. The basecoat is Doombull brown, you'll probably need a couple of coats.
Next I try and follow the lines of the wood wherever possible with a highlight of Tuskgor fur and then finally deathclaw brown.
I try and keep the mud pretty muted, so it's painted dryad bark which is highlighted up with mixes of Gorthor Brown and Dryad Bark. I don't normally go all the way to Gorthor, however.
At this point I stick the board walk to the stilts using PVA.
Next I use this stuff in the above picture. Unfortunately it belongs to Jen, so I have no idea what it's called or where it comes from. Jen thinks it might be from a model railway shop. The cool thing about us both being long time hobbyists is that we now have an extensive shared collection of stuff to use and that keeps on expanding!
With this stuff I cut off a few strands and then superglue one end and squeeze it together with my fingers. This gets you covered in superglue, so be warned!
I drill small holes into the putty for the pointy-tufty-bits to go in and then use superglue to make it stick. You will often leave a small amount of the putty colour visible, but you can touch this up afterwards. Although not in the pictures, I also now paint some Castellan green where the mud isn't, again trying to blend between the two colours.
Next up, water effect! This takes forever. Let it dry before you put more coats on. I tend not to worry about spilling over the edges because it's not clear when you tidy up the bases afterwards anyway. Remember, patience is key and don't expect to get it done the day before a tournament!
In between the first and second layer of water effect I put a wash of coelia greenshade onto the water effect to try and make it seem to have multiple layers of colour, it doesn't work that well but the colour is good over the green.
And finally, ignoring the actual attachment of models and the tidying up the rims by going over them in black paint, is gluing on the leaves. Once again these were got from Antenocitis and just stuck on with PVA.
There we have it, my Gremlin bases. I hope that was useful. any questions just give me a shout, or if you want me to go over anything else in the blog, again just say. Chat soon.