Monday 7 July 2014

Gremlins is Awesome: What know I got ta' show from Cojo Dojo

 I like doing these 'what did I learn' posts after tournaments, it helps me get a clearer understanding of what I learnt and plan for the future. There are a few things I have been thinking about, they are Reckoning and Changing Master.

 Ah Reckoning, how I have learnt to despise you. I think part of the problem is my own mentality, I will not refuse to try and get points for Reckoning. It makes me think back to my games of 40k in 5th edition where each opponent had one objective in their deployment zone. The sensible and boring thing to do would be to wait for your opponent to try and take yours and then counter attack, fighting their army in small chunks, often actually leading to both players defending. On the way back in the car the guys were saying you don't have to a super elite crew for it, but I always feel at a disadvantage if I don't. With a small crew though you don't have activation control, lots less flexibility and more at the mercy of the card flips. So far my solution has been pigs. Large with many wounds and generally decent damage. I don't think it has been working to my satisfaction however.

 Part of the problem, I think, is I have been trying to run Som'er as a pig master. Don't get me wrong, pig feed is amazing and he does have synergy with pigs, but the crew I have been trying to run simply does not have enough to make all of the synergy work. Also, I tend to find pig feed both difficult to get off and also not as reliable as simply blasting away with a boom stick. It's a shame, but forcing it I don't think is going to help. The parts where Old Major conflicts with Som'er are too large too be ignored for such an expensive model. It's time to wake up and smell the pig feed, Ulix can do what I have been trying to do with Som'er better.

 So out comes the Gremlin who knows all things pig! Having looked through the cards again I am also happy to see that Lenny, who I just couldn't find a place for all through the last tournament, synergizes beautifully with the bearded wonder grem. I have started working on my Ulix proxy and no doubt he will see table time soon.

Does this means the end of Som'er? Most definitely not. Fixed faction rather than master means you can swap and change your crew all the time and there are definitely times where I'd rather use Som'er. I suspect Ulix will be used for more than just Reckoning, but there is no replacing my favourite Master to date.

 Well there we have it! I know this seems largely obvious and possibly not also directly relevant to what actually happened in my games, but for me it's given me the kick up the backside I needed. I feel like I learnt something even if none of you did!

 Thanks for reading and, as always, feedback is gratefully appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried a shooty list for reckoning like with Somer and Rami and just stay away from the enemy if possible? Don't know gremlins but their dmg output seems pretty huge so should be able to kill a model each a turn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response. You are right, they do have some really killy models at range, but often they get killy from using dumb luck, which then leaves them open to being killed by the enemy to let them score. I also feel that, if you just went pure range, that once the enemy reach you it's game over, which will also mean you'll struggle with schemes. Finally, I don't want to take a gun line list, I just think it would be really dull. I can always give it a shot though, it all depends what schemes are flipped!

      Delete
  2. I see that schemes are key too. You could include Francoise (is he the killy guy) if you had schemes like assassinate murder prot etc. Just key to ensure you only send him in on a turn only he will get killed like turn 2. Keep everyone else back and run the piggy away after delivering. The shooters can protect piggy after activation. Then focus on other schemes turn 3/4. I find with reckoning of you get 1 or 2 points and deny your opposition that is enough to win the game

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of the problem is I don't want to plan not to get 10 points, it goes back to what I was saying about 40k old one objective each games. I always feel I should give the mission a decent shot

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should but honestly I don't think I have ever played a game with reckoning where either player got more than 2 points for it. As good as you are, aiming to get 10 in reckoning isn't realistic so will only lead to disappointment. Maybe aim for 7 or 8 consistently and you won't lose many games of reckoning. Any more is a bonus. Every other person at a tourny is in the same boat.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete